The season is changing and we can all feel it. The air feels crisper. The smells more earthy. The wind more noticeable.
SO WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT TO ACKNOWLEDGE FALL AND HAVE YOUR OWN LITTLE RITUAL?
This is my take on it from my different teachings and teachers.
Because fall is ruled by the element air, we tend to get more anxious and worried during this time. The fall season is also the time when we cleanse our lungs. In the lungs, we store grief and sadness. So it’s important that we understand how to move with the air to release extra tension and sadness. We need to let go of the summer dreams and grieve what did not happen during the summer. What if this summer was supposed to be the best summer of all times? Well what if that didn’t happen?
Now it’s important to have a fall ritual to let go of the attachments of the summer so we can move gracefully into the fall and nourish ourselves. We need to take extra care of our nerves, and remember to nourish both body mind and spirit.
Here are some of my fall rituals that provides healing:
- Breathe…. deep breaths! Sing… let your lungs vibrate!
- Love yourself! Make a fall commitment to fall in love with yourself.
- Add coconut oil or ghee into everything (coffee, tea, soups and stews.) This will help nourish and calm your nerves.
- Eat warm grounding foods such as roots, warm soups and stews.
- Drink warm water, not ice water. Ice and cold food and drinks tend to make the nerves more tense and fragile.
- Light candles, read books and take baths. Use warm essential oils such as ylang ylang, vetiver, frankincense, sandalwood, ginger, rose and orange.
- Keep up with your spiritual practices like yoga, stillness, calming music, and the best one- nature walks. Breathe in the earthy fall smells and calm yourself.
- Shake and dance… move that yin energy and release stagnation of energy.
- Take in the warm beautiful colors of the leaves and know they go through change.
We are part of nature, so embrace the change and move with it. Reconnect with your soul and be right here right now.
If you want to learn more about how to move with the air element I highly recommend one of my teachers Christina Pratt. You can find her amazing podcast library on her website lastmaskcenter.
Wishing you a beautiful fall.
This Blog was written by Hermine Iacobaeus, Personal Trainer and Yoga instructor at Body Kinetics Mill Valley.